By Caroline Carbonara, Walworth County Visitors Bureau
Just a few miles west of Lake Geneva, the city of Delavan, Wis., is the perfect spot for a summer getaway. Whether you prefer to play downtown or on the water, you’ll want to add these five things to your summer itinerary.
- See the WallDogs Murals. In 2015, the world-renowned artists known as the WallDogs created 20 masterful murals downtown. These murals bring the city’s history to life in a colorful way. Download a WallDogs Mural Scavenger Hunt and see if you can match the murals to the clues. While you’re downtown, stop into some of the boutiques and antique shops. You’ll never know what treasures you may find.
- Set sail on a Delavan Lake Tour. Climb aboard the Lake Lawn Queen and embark on a scenic tour around Delavan Lake. Enjoy the narrated tour highlighting historic homes, Frank Lloyd Wright architecture and panoramic views. Also consider the Sunset Wine Cruise or a Brunch Cruise.
- Enjoy a Concert in the Park. Summer in Delavan would not be complete without Concerts in the Park at the Phoenix Park Bandshell. All summer, the band shell will be jamming out to the sounds of classic rock, swing jazz, pop hits and more. Concerts are held every weekend from May 29 to Sept. 19.
- Shop the Fresh Market. There’s no better way to experience Delavan than at Fresh Market. Area farmers, artisans, vendors and food trucks set up a farmers market-style fair every Thursday downtown. Arrive early to find the best treats.
- Attend a Delavan festival. Kickstart your summer at the Memorial Day Celebration at Lake Lawn Resort from May 28 to May 31. Enjoy the arts at Brick Street Day on June 19. Celebrate Independence Day early with fireworks and festivities at Community Park on June 26. Shop till you drop at Delavan’s Maxwell Street Days, Aug. 6-7. Get a taste of fall with the annual Scarecrow Fest on Sept. 18.
No matter your itinerary this summer, discover an adventure in Delavan, Wis. Start planning at visitdelavan.com. The Walworth County Visitors Bureau is located at 2375 E. Geneva St., in Delavan, (262) 728-6000.