For many who want to make dietary changes, weight loss is a primary concern. Because the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend 45-65% of daily calories come from carbohydrates, an eating plan like the ketogenic diet (or keto, for short), which involves consuming a low amount of carbs and replacing them with healthy fats, can be a wise choice.
Replacing carb intake with fat puts your body in a metabolic state called ketosis, which makes you more efficient at burning fat for energy. The keto diet can help reduce blood sugar and insulin levels.
Those following the keto plan typically reduce or avoid bread, pasta and rice. So, Toufayan Bakeries has introduced a line of keto-friendly wraps, pitas and flatbreads that are high in fiber and protein with no sugar and fewer carbs.
These two recipes from chef George Duran build on Toufayan’s products.
Find more recipes at Toufayan.com.
Keto Egg and Sausage Flatbread
- 1 Toufayan Keto Flatbread
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cooked sausage links approximately 2 ounces each, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to broil.
- On foil-lined baking sheet, cover flatbread with mozzarella cheese; add sausage and pepper.
- Crack egg in center of flatbread and broil 5-8 minutes, or until egg is cooked to desired firmness.
- Remove from oven and top with chives. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Keto Enchilada Quesadilla
- Rotisserie chicken pulled and chopped
- Enchilada sauce
- Olive oil
- Toufayan Bakeries Keto Wraps
- Tex-Mex cheese grated
- Jarred or fresh jalapenos thinly sliced
- Cilantro chopped
- Salsa for serving
- n bowl, mix pulled chicken and enchilada sauce until fully covered. Set aside.
- Spray or brush olive oil on both sides of keto wrap and place on nonstick pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Once wrap is heated on one side, flip and heavily top entire wrap with grated cheese.
- Allow cheese to melt, then disperse chicken mixture, sliced jalapenos and chopped cilantro on half of wrap.
- Fold wrap over ingredients and cook until quesadilla is golden brown on both sides.
- Cut into triangles and serve with salsa.